Fond du Lac County's Public Health Officer doesn't recommend exposure to the blue-green algae that's choking some of the shorelines of Lake Winnebago. Diane Cappozzo says it's full of toxins that can make you sick if you swallow it, inhale it or expose your skin to it.
Cappozzo says if you think you've been exposed to the algae, make sure to wash yourself thoroughly from head to toe right away.
She says it can be an even bigger problem for pets that tend to clean themselves by licking their fur.
Cappozzo says the blue-green algae problem is somewhat newer to the Fond du Lac area. She says usually it's a bigger problem in the Neenah-Menasha area or northern shores of the Lake.