October 31, 2014

Wanggaard accepts recall defeat

Republican state Senator Van Wanggaard says he will not go to court over the recount results which confirm his June 5 election defeat by Democrat John Lehman. The deadline was today on the motion to fight last week’s recount results which show the incumbent losing to Lehman by just over 800 votes.

Republicans say there were numerous irregularities in that election. The Racine County Sheriff’s Department has finished investigating several complaints related to that race. While deputies have referred their findings to the D.A.’s office, they won’t say if they’re recommending charges.

In a statement today, Wanggaard cast blame on not having a photo I.D. requirement for voters, part of a law that’s been blocked by judges in Dane County. He also says, “Now is the time to focus on gaining the state senate back in November, winning Wisconsin’s U.S. Senate seat, and electing Governor Romney as President.” 

Democrats now hold the majority in state Senate but it may not be for long as the next session begins in January and in November, 16 of the chamber’s 33 seats are up for grabs. The contested 21st district will not be in November’s election. Wanggaard says he will run again in the district’s next election which is about two years away.