State officials have issued a drinking water advisory in the Washington County town of Jackson, after a gasoline pipeline in the area broke two weeks ago and spilled over 50,000 gallons of gasoline. The break contaminated at least seven water wells.
The pipeline company has given bottled water to those residents. The DNR says all private well-owners in the area should use either bottled water or a source that they know is safe.
Homes around the spill are advised to use their well water only for flushing toilets.
Houses in the nearby city of Jackson are not affected because the municipal water system has been deemed safe from contamination.