The WIAA Board of control voted unanimously today to adopt a mercy rule in boys and girls basketball. The rule would be in place for the regular season and post season.
The rule says that if at any point of the game beyond the 3rd quarter the score reaches a 40-point difference, there will be a running clock unless a time out is called. The clock will remain continuous for the duration of the game after that if even if the score drops below a 40-point difference.
There were additional rules adopted:
- A Division 1 High School will not be allowed to host a sectional game (semi or final) if their team is playing in it.
- There will be 3-man crews for all post season games.
- A change was made to the schedule in the State Team Wrestling Tournament. The D1 Semifinals are being moved to Friday night.
- Hockey teams will be allowed 24 regular season games, instead of 20.
- Gymnastics will now have the Team competition Friday afternoon and night with the individual meet Saturday
The full release is available on the WIAA website.