What happens next for the 1,100 students of Racine’s Mitchell Middle and Elementary schools, off for a second day because of a big fire, could be spelled out as the weekend unfolds. District officials are working on restoring classroom education at the site for everyone, or moving some to another location.
“We’re still trying to get as much information as we can about whether and when we may be able to get back into at least part of that building,” said Racine Unified School District Communications Director Stacy Tapp. “We just don’t know yet.”
Tapp said there’s been a lot to assess outside the main damage area, which was the gutted gymnasium. “Of course, there’s water and smoke damage in a big portion of other parts of the building. That’s part of what we’re still assessing. That created the urgency for trying to get the power back on, so water doesn’t freeze and cause more damage.”
Free breakfast and lunch programs are continuing for all affected students at a nearby church, until they all get back. The Racine School Board will get an update on the Mitchell School fire at it’s Monday meeting. So far, no cause or damage estimate has been made available.