Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) mitigation information is being distributed this month at area Menards and Home Depots.
FEMA representatives will be at home improvement stores for residents affected by the August storms and flooding. Home owners and renters will be able to get information on mitigation activities that could reduce future damage; and they can learn about disaster assistance and flood insurance.
"The state of Wisconsin along with FEMA have just volumes of information that you can get from the mitigation people once you do see them at the hardware stores."
FEMA public information officer Don Bolger says mitigation is about prevention — thinking ahead.
"A lot of times during a flood, if your water heater or furnace are in the basement, they may be flooded out and receive damage because of this. Mitigation will show you how you can raise your furnace, you can raise your water heater, put them in a different location that way should you have a flood in the future they won't be affected."
If you've suffered from flood damage, don't beat yourself up. Bolger says you can still get flood insurance at any time for your home, apartment, business or condominium; it's called the National Flood Insurance Program. And, he cautions, even if you don't live in a flood zone, you still might want to consider getting flood insurance. Most floods are caused by storms, water backup, overflow, and melting snow
NOTE: A study by The National Institute of Building Science's Multi-hazard Mitigation Council found that every $1 spent on mitigation can save as much as $4 in response and recovery.
More information about Wisconsin recovery:
FEMA representatives will be at the stores from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. at the following locations and days:
- Madison – Menards East, 2102 E. Spring Dr., Sept 14-16
- Madison – Menards West, 430 Commerce Dr. Sept 17-19
- Onalaska – Menards, 1301 Sand Lake Rd, Sept. 18-19
- La Crosse – Ace Hardware, 4242 Mormon Coulee Rd., Sept. 20-21
- Janesville – Home Depot, 3200 Deerfield Dr., Sept 21-23
- Onalaska – Home Depot, 2927 Market Place, Sept. 23-24
- La Crosse – Menards, 223 Lang Drive, Sept. 25-26
- Sturtevant – Menards, 3101 South Oaks Rd., Sept. 25-27
- La Crosse – Ace Hardware, 4242 Mormon Coulee Rd, Sept. 28
- Racine – Home Depot, 2429 S. Green Bay Rd., Sept. 28-30