It's only fun until somebody gets an eye out.
The state Consumer Protection Department has some advice for using fireworks on the Fourth of July.
"Don't give any type of fireworks to children. There are plenty of shows that you can go to where professionals are in charge of the fireworks. Our advice is 'leave it to the professionals.'"
Spokesperson Glen Loyd says the agency emphasizes prevention. Sparklers , for example, are colorful, mesmerizing and seemingly innocent, but the crackly hand-held fire sticks are potentially dangerous. Loyd says they can burn fingers, faces or ignite clothing.
"These things get red, glowing hot when they're used, and you're giving them to a child in the dark."
Loyd says a responsible adult should supervise fireworks activities, follow warning labels, and stay away from flammables such as gas and propane tanks. Loyd also says you should only light one item at a time and then move back quickly. And …
"Never ever relight fireworks that haven't functioned, and it's a good idea, too, to keep a bucket of water or a hose handy in case of a malfunction or fire."
Loyd recalls, there have even been deaths in Wisconsin caused by the mis-use of fireworks. A few years ago a boy was exploding mailboxes for fun.
"The shrapnel from the mailbox pierced a young boy's heart and he died."
According to the National Fire Protection Association , nationwide emergency rooms will treat an estimated 10-thousand people this year for fireworks-related injuries. … mostly to the extremities and the head.