At the risk of repeating themselves, officials are urging us to use caution when trying to stay warm.
Wisconsinites are feeling colder temperatures than we've felt in the last 15 years, and considering the sky-rocketing heating bills, Lori Getter, Public Information Officer, Wisconsin Emergency Management , says people are looking for alternative heat sources, such as electric space heaters.
"If you're gonna use a space heater, make sure you place it in an area where it won't catch fire, not near any drapes or bedding or furniture and also make sure you keep pets and children away from that."
Getter suggests you use caution when using wood-burning stoves and fireplaces, and urges you to stay away from heat sources which are inappropriate for heating your home.
"Such as leaving your oven on or using grills or camp stoves or other charcoal-burning devices. They can produce carbon monoxide which is a deadly gas; it's odorless, colorless and tasteless — and can kill."
Believe it or not, she says, people actually do put their charcoal grill in their house. Oil-burning heaters are especially worrisome. Getter suggests you have fire extinguishers, smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors in your home to protect your family.