Authorities in Marathon County have identified the victim and the source of carbon monoxide poisoning in a rural Stratford home.
Sheriff's authorities say a defective furnace caused the carbon monoxide leak that killed 36-year-old Michael Schermetzler in his home early Thursday morning. The victim's body was found on the floor of a bedroom by his sister.
The leak also made at least seven emergency responders sick, sending five to the hospital for treatment.
Sheriff's Lieutenant Dale Wisnewski says a repairman called to the scene was able to trace the carbon monoxide poisoning to a defective furnace.
Wisnewski says Schmertzler's death is a reminder that you should be on alert for carbon monoxide and install at least one detector inside your home.