It’s better to join your community and leave the fireworks displays up to the professionals, but if you must do-it-yourself, state officials are encouraging you keep safety a priority. Brianna Kopp with the state Health Department says even seemingly innocent sparklers can injure a child. “Younger children can get very excited and curious around fireworks and they often lack the coordination that is needed to handle fireworks safely.”
Sparklers burn at temperatures of 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, and that’s hot enough to cause third-degree burns. For other types of flame-throwing noise-makers, Kopp says, read instructions and warnings, don’t allow children to ignite the fireworks, and keep the kids at a safe distance away from any potential danger. “The most common injuries are burns to hands, legs, arms, and also damage to the eyes.” Or even hearing loss … injuries, she says, that could have been prevented.
Kopp suggests you keep a bucket of water or a hose handy in case of a malfunction or fire, and if fireworks fizzle, douse them with water and do not attempt to relight them. According to health officials, in 2008, 13 Wisconsin residents were hospitalized and 82 visited emergency departments due to firework-related injuries.