A carbon monoxide poisoning case in western Wisconsin is serving as a reminder of why it’s a bad idea to heat your home in unconventional ways.
The Trempealeau County Sheriff’s Department says 13 people were taken to a hospital Sunday, after first responders arrived at a home near Arcadia and found a charcoal grill was apparently being use to provide heat. Authorities says seven adults and five children fell ill because of the fumes, while a responding officer also had to be transported to a local hospital.
The officer was treated and released. There has been no update on the other 12 people taken from the home.
Officials have frequently warned against using grills and other outdoor heating sources inside a home, because the fumes are not able to dissipate properly like they do outside. That can pose a deadly risk to the health of anyone around them.