A Waupaca County man died in a house fire early Tuesday morning, after apparently trying to save the family dog from the blaze. According to the Waupaca County Sheriff’s Department, 82 year old Wayne Tesch died from smoke inhalation sustained in the early morning fire, which was called in just after 3:30 a.m. on Bellin Road outside Fremont. When firefighters from Dale and Fremont arrived at the scene, the house was fully engulfed.
Waupaca County Sheriff’s Detective John Macodlo said Joyce Tesch was able to escape the fire, but her husband stayed behind in search of the couple’s dog. “The were awakened by the smoke detectors. Joyce got out and Wayne was coming, but didn’t exit completely and went back to look for the dog,” he said.
Joyce Tesch was taken to New London Family Medical Center and was treated and released. Macodlo said no cause for the fire has yet been determined, but it appears to be accidental ion nature.