A report out earlier this week claims attorneys for Governor Scott Walker are in talks to settle an ongoing John Doe investigation into possible illegal coordination between outside groups and Republican lawmakers targeted by recalls.
Walker’s campaign sought to distance the governor from the controversy on Thursday, when it released a statement claiming that neither he nor his campaign are parties to the federal lawsuit. During a stop in Chippewa Falls Friday, Walker said “they wanted to make it clear that neither I, nor my campaign, is a party to that federal lawsuit. Therefore we can’t be involved in a settlement, nor can we be involved in a deal.”
The statement was in response to questions raised by the Club For Growth, one of the groups suing prosecutors to halt the John Doe probe. While the challenge is in federal court, the actual John Doe was initiated by state prosecutors, a distinction Walker has not yet addressed.
AUDIO: Gov. Walker on John Doe (:23)
The Wall Street Journal also criticized Walker for what it argued could be an effort to prevent any legal surprises ahead of the November elections, saying the activity that could damage fellow conservatives. Walker said “I’m not gonna do anything to undermine other fellow conservatives, nor anything that would undermine people’s free speech under the First Amendment.”
Affiliate WAYY contributed to this report.