A zamboni caused a carbon monoxide leak that made 81 people sick at a junior league hockey game in Lake Delton on Saturday night. Fire officials said yesterday that the ice-resurfacing machine produced high levels of carbon monoxide in the Poppy Waterman ice arena. It will stay closed until the zamboni is fixed. Repairs are expected to begin today.
Players on the Wisconsin Dells Ducks and Rochester Ice Hawks started getting dizziness and headaches after their game. One player reportedly fainted. Many of the players and spectators were gone by then, so rescuers were sent to a number of locations to contact people who were at the game. Those with flu-like symptoms were either sent to a hospital or were encouraged to go. Hospitals in Baraboo, Mauston, Reedsburg, and Portage saw the patients. Most were treated and later released. One Wisconsin Dells player was sent to a Milwaukee hospital for hyperbaric treatment.