It has been determined that the cause of a residential fire in Plover Tuesday was from a barbecue grill.
Plover Fire Chief Mark Deaver says they were called out to the home on East Breezewood Court at 5:40 p.m. The house was engulfed in flames when they arrived.
Deaver says this fire could have been prevented by moving the charcoal grill further from the building. “After investigating the fire, we’re positive that it was a cooking fire located in the back of the house or the garage, and so what they were doing was barbecuing outside. They had their barbecue next to the house. That started the back of the garage on fire.”
Deaver says fire doubles in size every minute, and modern construction materials burn much faster than older homes made with natural lumber and few if any glues and plastics.
There were smoke detectors inside the living area, according to WSAU’s report, but since the fire started on the outside of the building, they didn’t go off until the garage was engulfed and smoke started coming inside.
This is a good reminder about grilling safety during the summer months.
At least two people were inside the home when the fire started. Six people live at the home. Everyone had made it outside safely be the time firefighters arrived on the scene.
The garage was completely destroyed, and there was extensive fire and smoke damage throughout the entire home, Deaver said. Two vehicles parked in front of the garage were also severely damaged.
A separate home next to the garage also had damage to its vinyl siding.