The state Natural Resources Board will hold-off on considering new rules for shooting ranges owned by the state.
The board had been set to take up the guidelines at its meeting next week, but Department of Natural Resources spokesman George Althoff said Thursday it decided to delay action following negative public feedback. “We decided it would be prudent to take those off of the agenda, get further input…do some more analysis,” he said.
The proposed rules for eight DNR-owned ranges included banning alcohol, automatic weapons, and exploding targets. They also would have required shooters to unload their weapons when not on firing lines, which some critics worried may violate the state’s concealed carry law.
Althoff said DNR staff will spend the next “several weeks” going over the rules, with the hope of bringing back a “very solid, crystal-clear set of proposed changes” for the board to consider at a future meeting.