February 8, 2016

Chicken saves homeowners from fire

Firefighters recommend smoke detectors, but when that doesn’t work, it helps to have an alert chicken in the midst.

A huge fire broke out at a home in west central Wisconsin Thursday morning. The smoke detectors were not working, but the sleeping homeowners were awaken by the commotion of their pet chicken.

The couple heard the noise from the panicky poultry, which also stirred their cats; they immediately smelled the smoke and were able to escape.

Alma Center Fire Chief Jeff Gaede said the fire started in the attic of the garage and the home is a total loss.


Print pagePDF pageEmail page