More than 40 students were hospitalized Friday after a circulation pump malfunctioned at an indoor pool in Wausau. The students were on a swimming field trip at the Mount View Care Center when the pump malfunctioned, causing higher-than-normal levels of chlorine. Center administrator Lori Koeppel says students started feeling nauseous after the malfunction.
Lifeguards and field trip supervisors noticed the exposure. Koeppel says they acted quickly to help the students. Koeppel says an inspection of the faulty pump will now begin. Thirty-four children were taken to Aspirus Wausau Hospital. Most will be released in a few hours. St. Clare's Hospital reported one student there was in critical condition. Four others were in good condition.