After months of speculation on Brett Favre’s future, the former Packers and Jets quarterback has decided to remain retired from the NFL, instead of taking the starting quarterback job in Minnesota with the Vikings.
Favre told ESPN’s Ed Werder said the decision was extremely difficult and indicated that this will be it, he won’t likely consider play again in the NFL.
Favre didn’t think that his health could be trusted for an entire 16-game season. That pain wasn’t necessarily in his arm or shoulder, but in his knees and ankles.
Favre had several Vikings players calling and texting him, trying to convince the future Hall of Famer to play with the Vikings. Instead, Favre will pass on the previously negotiated 1-year, $10-million contract.
Favre told Werder, “I had to be careful not to commit for the wrong reasons.” He said, “They were telling me, ‘You went through all this, you had the surgery and you’ve got to finish it off.’ But I havelegitimate reasons for my decision. I’m 39 with a lot of sacks to my name.”
Favre’s decision leaves the Vikings with Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson to compete for the starters job in Minnesota. That means coach Brad Childress has some damage control to do with both, who were expected to compete for the job before the courting of Favre began.
The Vikings are scheduled to report to training camp on Thursday and start practicing on Friday.