Seventeen people were hospitalized Monday morning for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning in Manitowoc. Fist responders arrived at around 9:15 a.m. to the 1200 block of Washington Street. A person who lives there in a second-floor apartment reported that people were sick.
Ten of the people hospitalized were in apartments above a business, while the other seven were in a cafe on the first-floor. Four of the victims were taken to Milwaukee for more intensive treatment. It’s unclear where the carbon monoxide leak originated.
Emergency crews from Two Rivers and Mishicot helped out in the response. Some of the buildings on the block were closed, but could reopen later Monday.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas produced when fossil fuels are burned, according to the CDC’s website. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.